"VIS MEDICATRIX NATURAE"
All rights reserved

Sunday, August 16, 2009

PLDT in Holland, 50 years ago



This is my aunty Liesbeth, she and her husband were running the local post- and telephone connecting office. I think this picture was shot early '50's. These small centrals one by one were closed when post war technology entered the scene.

When I had my domicile in Naic, Cavite, second half of the '80's, I had to go halfway Manila to Bacoor or Noveleta I can't remember which, to make a phone call. The building had several numbered phone booths, you had to report at the counter first tellin' your details . The place was always crowded but cozy. After a while your name was called to announce the connection was waiting. Most of my calls were to the office of Central Casting and I still can memorize the phone number till this very day, 8325076 and I'll never forget it the rest of my life.

So when I scrolled this picture in the family album I imagined the PLDT buying this stuff when it was dumped in Holland and (who knows) are still using it today....

No comments: